Preserved Lemons add an exquisite touch to salads and go wonderfully with chicken or fish. They even put a little bit of magic in whipped butter. Constantin Fischer´s recipe: How to preserve a lemon.
For the preserved lemon (for one lemon):
|1||cinnamon stick, approx 3 cm|
- Wash lemon and cut down the middle but without halving it completely.
- Open the lemon with your fingers and fill with salt. Place the lemon with the spices in a preserving jar and add a further 2 tablespoons of salt per lemon.
- Fill the jar to the brim with boiling water, seal and store in a dark and cool place for at least four weeks to infuse.
- Remove pieces of lemon as required from the jar. Only use the peel, this will add a special touch to any dish.
- The water from the salt lemon can also be used to season salad dressings.