Fish Pie Recipe
Makes six individual pies
Fish pie sauce:
- In a large, heavy-based pan, gently cook the onions, garlic and fennel in olive oil until soft.
- Add the prawn heads to the saucepan and cook until they turn pink.
- Raise the heat, deglaze the pan with the white wine and simmer the wine until it is almost totally reduced.
- Add the potatoes and chicken stock and simmer gently until the potatoes are soft and the stock is reduced by two-thirds.
- Add the cream and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Remove the prawn heads before pureeing the sauce in a blender until smooth.
- Strain the sauce and season to taste with salt and a little pepper.
Fish pie filling:
The filling components for the pie can be as many or as varied as you wish. This is what we use at the Builders Arms.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC.
- First, cut shapes out of the puff pastry to top the pies with. You can use one of the pie dishes as a template. Just be sure to cut the pastry about one centimetre wider, all around, than the edge of the bowl.
- Divide the fish, seafood, herbs, zest and capers between six deep pie dishes and spoon about 200 ml of the fish pie sauce into each bowl. Give it a little stir to distribute the sauce around the fish.
- Dampen the edges of the bowls with a little water and place a disc of pastry over the top. Press the pastry lightly onto the rim of the bowl and brush with a little beaten egg. Pierce a couple of holes in the top of the pie to let the steam escape.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until cooked through and golden.
Champagne Bollinger R.D. 2007 – Bollinger Launches the Latest Vintage of Its Flagship Wine - Récemment Dégorgé 2007
Campari, gin and vermouth: these are the three ingredients of the legendary cocktail classic Negroni. It was named after Count Negroni and comes in...
Jansz Tasmania 's release of vintage sparkling wines shows Tasmania's cool climate off to perfection.
Falstaff’s man about town talks about a great love affair – that between food and wine.