Ingredients (Serves 6)
- Cut the lamb into bite-sized cubes and dust with the flour.
- Working in 3 batches, heat the butter in a large, heavy-based casserole (use one with a lid) over a medium-high heat and sear the meat all over until it is browned and has a roasted aroma. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside until all the meat is browned.
- Turn the heat down to medium, then add the onions and garlic to the casserole and cook, stirring until the onion is translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb stock and red wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape the base of the casserole and release the browned bits from the base.
- Add the tomato purée and cook, stirring, for a further 2–3 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, rosemary sprigs and juniper berries. Return the meat (along with the meat juices) to the casserole, bring to the boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 1 hour, partially covered with the lid.
- Add the carrots, celery and diced potatoes and simmer for a further 1 hour, covered.
- Add the peas and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve.
If you have separated the meat from a leg of lamb, you can make your own lamb stock from the leftover bone.
FIND OUT MORE
Luxembourg Hash BrownsIn the new 'Zero Food Waste' cookbook, the Too Good To Go team combines crispy pan-fried potato hash browns with apple compote. The sweet and savoury combination of apple and potato is a classic, and this dish is easy and inexpensive to prepare, too.
Chanterelle StewChanterelles play the leading role in this flavourful vegetarian stew. Serve it in style, with bread dumplings drenched in creamy sauce spiked with rum.
Veiled Peasant GirlThis dish of stewed apples and pears, breadcrumbs, spices and cream is one of Norway's best-loved traditional desserts (the name is the topic of various origin stories). This version is from Christl and Lisa Schauflinger of the Schauflinger Inn in Austria, and is one of the most popular desserts with their guests.
Buttermilk Pancakes with Stewed PlumsAn airy, fluffy buttermilk pancake topped with spiced stewed plums. This recipe is from top Austrian chef Max Natmessnig.
Venison Shoulder in Chocolate Chilli SauceA classic venison stew gets an exciting new twist with the addition of cumin, chilli and a touch of chocolate.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Between Pacific and Andes, roaring ocean and rugged rocks, Peru's perfect blend of indigenous and immigrant cultures has created a compelling...
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
Wines made or endorsed by famous names are now a firm part of the wine business. If done right, they are a perfect extension of a celebrity’s brand...