Ingredients (Serves 4)
- In a heavy-based casserole with a lid, sear the ossobuco pieces on both sides in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Set aside.
- Add 280g of the onion to the casserole and cook, stirring until soft but not browned, adding more oil as needed.
- Return the browned ossobuco slices to the casserole with the onions. Add the tomato purée and pour in the white wine and veal stock and stir well.
- Tie the herbs and the peppercorns in a spice bag and add to the casserole. Bring to a simmer, cover with the lid, turn the heat to low and simmer for 4 hours or until the veal is very tender. Season to taste with salt.
- Meanwhile, mix the carrots, celery and the remaining 20g onions together in a bowl with the lemon juice and lemon zest to make a vegetable vinaigrette.
- At the end of cooking time, arrange the ossobuco slices on a large platter with the braising sauce. Finish with the vegetable vinaigrette and chopped parsley.
- The ideal accompaniment to the ossobuco is a risotto Milanese with saffron.
FIND OUT MORE
Persian Lamb Shanks with Aubergine and Saffron RiceThis recipe is a great way to celebrate the last aubergines of the year. Slow, gentle heat makes the lamb shanks soft enough to eat with a spoon, while all its delicious juices flavour the vegetables. The saffron-scented rice is the clincher!
Fried Rice with PrawnsMaking fried rice is a brilliant way to use up all kinds of leftovers. We've used prawns here, but any kind of fish or meat will work just as well – and you can let your imagination run wild with the vegetables, too.
Curry DipServe it in the summer with a barbecue or serve it in the winter with fondue... This versatile curry dip is a great accompaniment to meat – and to all sorts of vegetables, from raw to roasted.
Cocktail SauceThis recipe is a twist on the classic cocktail sauce. The secret ingredient? Cognac. It makes a fine pairing with meat – and, of course, its classic pairing, prawns.
Pink Roasted Loin of MouflonThe mouflon, a type of wild sheep, was introduced to Burgenland in Austria by aristocratic hunters, and today gourmets can enjoy its outstandingly fine and tender meat. If you can't get mouflon, just use quality lamb or mutton.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Raise a glass (or two) to English Wine Week running from June 18-26 by visiting these five UK wineries from Sussex to southwest London.
There have been many copies, but there is only one original dry vermouth. Our writer makes a pilgrimage to Noilly Prat in Marseillan in the south of...
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Between Pacific and Andes, roaring ocean and rugged rocks, Peru's perfect blend of indigenous and immigrant cultures has created a compelling...
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
As the temperature rises, these refreshing berry cocktail recipes will cool you down and provide a delicious, grown-up taste of summer.
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...