Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based stock pot. Add the onions and fry until they start to colour. Add the beef bones and 3 litres cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, add half the ginger and simmer over a very low heat for at least 8 (and up to 12) hours, semi-covered.
- For the last 2 hours, add the spices and the remaining ginger and simmer. At the end of cooking time, pour the soup through a fine sieve into a clean pan, then season with fish sauce. You will need 400ml for beef stock for this recipe (freeze the rest). Keep the 400ml stock hot.
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet. Divide between four wide soup bowls and garnish with sprouts, spring onions and basil and coriander leaves. Place the beef slices on top, then pour over the hot stock.
- Serve with lime the wedges, chopped chillies, more herbs and bean sprouts and additional fish sauce separately.
- Serve with the sriracha chilli sauce in small dipping bowls so you can dip the beef slices in these before eating.
FIND OUT MORE
Pea Cream Soup with Cashews and BasilPeas can also be creamy. Here we purée them into a velvety soup, and refine it with cashews and bacon.
Chickpea and Chestnut SoupSouthern Italians are hopelessly addicted to chestnuts. In autumn and winter, cooks pay homage to them with soups such as this hearty, warming bowlful.
French Onion SoupA French classic that is guaranteed to please- you really can't go wrong with a rich, flavourful soup topped with melting cheese, after all. This rendition is from the new cookbook 'Hot Cheese' by Polina Cheznakova.
Horseradish SoupCreamy and spicy at the same time, this soup is an amazing flavour combination. Created by top Austrian chefs Karl and Rudi Obauer, it's a soup with true personality. For an extra kick, add as much Tabasco as you dare!
Porcini Soup with Mushrooms and LeeksGerman chef Manuel Ulrich from the 1 Michelin-star restaurant Ösch Noir serves a fine porcini mushroom soup. When porcini are in season, this is the ideal dish to make to celebrate their unique flavour and texture.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
The 2021 Bordeaux En Primeur campaign delivered ‘predictable chaos’, with too many wines offering poor value compared to other available vintages,...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
Where does one go after an illustrious career making one of the world’s most iconic wines? For the Lur Saluces family the answer is: back home.
The inaugural Michelin Guide Dubai has awarded two Michelin stars to two restaurants: Il Ristorante - Niko Romito and STAY by Yannick Alléno.
Wines made or endorsed by famous names are now a firm part of the wine business. If done right, they are a perfect extension of a celebrity’s brand...