Ingredients (Serves 4)
- In a bowl, combine the 600g flour, eggs, 1 tsp salt and the measured water, adding just enough water to make a thick dough (you may not need it all). Set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, season the onion rings with salt and dust with the 2 tablespoons flour.
- Heat 6 tbsp of the oil in a heavy-based pan. When hot, add the onion rings and fry until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes, turning regularly so they don't burn. Set aside.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Put the dough in portions into a spaetzle press, press into the boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes until the spaetzle rise to the top.
- Remove with a skimmer, rinse briefly with cold water and drain. Repeat until all the spaetzle are cooked.
- Season the spaetzle with salt and nutmeg and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Comté on top and stir it in gently. Bake for 10–15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, honey and mustard in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the remaining 4 tbsp oil drop by drop. Stir in the shallot.
- Put the salad leaves in a large bowl and dress with the vinaigrette just before serving.
- Serve the spaetzle on a serving platter with the fried onions on top, sprinkle with parsley, and serve the salad on the side.
FIND OUT MORE
Baked Ziti from 'The Sopranos'Pasta as a serial actor: In The Sopranos, this baked pasta with plenty of cheese and tomato sauce plays an ironically prominent role.
Tacos with Braised Beef and ChocolateChocolate and chilli is a trademark Mexican combination and this dish shows just how beautifully the two ingredients combine. It has that deep, velvety glory that we all crave on damp, cold winter evenings.
Green Asparagus with Sauce GribicheThe combination of green asparagus and the classic French Sauce Gribiche is one of those match-made-in-heaven dishes. It just works – and it's easy to put together, too.
Shepherd's PieFor this classic dish, Anja Auer layers minced lamb, mashed potatoes, veggies and cheese. As you'd expect, the result is comforting and warming – hard to resist!
Poached Eggs in Spicy Tomato SauceA breakfast that immediately transports you to the bazaars of the Middle East with its wonderful aroma of cumin and lots of fresh herbs.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The 2021 Bordeaux En Primeur campaign delivered ‘predictable chaos’, with too many wines offering poor value compared to other available vintages,...
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
Where does one go after an illustrious career making one of the world’s most iconic wines? For the Lur Saluces family the answer is: back home.
The inaugural Michelin Guide Dubai has awarded two Michelin stars to two restaurants: Il Ristorante - Niko Romito and STAY by Yannick Alléno.