Steamed Fish with Spring Onion and Ginger
Steamed Fish with Spring Onion and Ginger
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Cut several deep slashes on both sides of the fish to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Keep the green parts of the spring onions long and slice the white parts finely.
- Place the fish in a shallow bowl. Put the green parts of the spring onions and the crushed ginger in the belly of the fish. Season the fish with a dash of soy sauce, add the Shaoxing wine or sherry and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the remaining ginger into long thin strips using a sharp knife. Mix the soy sauce with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside.
- Heat the oven to its lowest setting and place a serving plate inside to warm.
- Prepare the steamer: fill the steamer with a little water and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Pour off the liquid that has collected in the bowl with the fish, remove the spring onion from the belly of the fish and place it in the steamer, then place the fish on top (to prevent sticking).
- Steam for 8–12 minutes, depending on the size of the fish. The fish is cooked when the flesh separates easily from the bones or when the fins can be pulled out easily.
- Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the cooked fish and place on the warmed serving plate.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the fish and scatter the finely chopped ginger and spring onions over the fish.
- Heat the peanut oil over high heat in a frying pan until smoking then pour it over the fish and seasonings (don't be alarmed – it will sizzle loudly).
- Serve immediately with a bowl of steamed rice.
FIND OUT MORE
Trout Steaks with Parsley Potatoes and Lemon SauceTrout is a fish we should cook more of. Cut into steaks, it's quick to cook and is great grilled or barbecued. This simple recipe from Anja Auer lets the fine flavour of the trout shine through.
Greenback Flounder in Verjus & SorrelAustralian celebrity chef Josh Niland is author of the bestselling 'The Whole Fish Cookbook', which has gone some way in changing the way we think about preparing and cooking fish. This barbecue recipe is simplicity itself, and gives a taste of Josh's inventive seafood cooking.
Hong Kong-style Salt & Pepper SquidTender on the inside, crunchy on the outside and seasoned with plenty of pepper and spice, these tasty Hong Kong-style morsels are perfect served as a nibble with drinks.
Pan-fried Pike Fillets with Beans and Brown ButterFirm white-fleshed fish such as pike is a natural with its classic accompaniment, browned butter. Add a twist of lemon and a trio of green vegetables and there really is no finer fishy feast.
Fried Carp with Cauliflower & Savoy CabbageThe mild taste of carp lends itself well to pan-frying. Here Austrian chef Klaus Hölzl pairs carp with cauliflower and savoy cabbage, for a dish that's just right for a wintry supper.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The 2021 Bordeaux En Primeur campaign delivered ‘predictable chaos’, with too many wines offering poor value compared to other available vintages,...
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
Where does one go after an illustrious career making one of the world’s most iconic wines? For the Lur Saluces family the answer is: back home.
The inaugural Michelin Guide Dubai has awarded two Michelin stars to two restaurants: Il Ristorante - Niko Romito and STAY by Yannick Alléno.