Smoked Trout with Lentils and Speck
Smoked Trout with Lentils and Speck
- Soak green lentils and red lentils separately in water.
- Lift or pluck the meat off the smoked trout from the bones and break into flakes. Put the bones in a saucepan, add a shallot, the bay leaf and some dried porcini mushrooms. Pour on water so that everything is covered.
- Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and leave the stock to stand for about half an hour. Strain stock.
- Boil the red lentils in salted water for about one minute, strain and rinse. Cook the green lentils in the same way, but for about 5 minutes. Both types of lentils should be firm to the bite afterwards.
- Cut bacon into small cubes. Finely chop one shallot and the garlic clove. Sauté everything with a tablespoon of butter.
- Add 250ml of smoked trout stock and soy sauce and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Mix a little tapioca flour in a cup with some icy water until smooth. Stir into the sauce and bring to the boil until thickened.
- Add the lentils, bring everything to the boil once, season with salt and pepper, stir in chopped parsley if desired. Heat 125ml of fish stock, mix in 2 tablespoons of butter, season with salt and pepper.
- Warm the smoked trout fillets slightly in the oven (they should not get hot) and place them on a plate. Add lentils, pour over the buttery sauce.
FIND OUT MORE
Fish PieAndrew McConnell, chef and owner of the Builders Arms Hotel in Melbourne, Australia, has shared his Signature Fish Pie recipe with us.
Fish: Seabass with Lemon and Thyme Butter and PolentaThis recipe is from Johanna Maier of Hubertus restaurant in Austria
Mediterranean Fish StewClub Prosper Montagné presents a Mediterranean recipe by Robert Speth.
Asian Fish BallsA quick recipe to conjure up an enticing dish from leftovers.
Spinach Gnocchi with Bacon and Tomato SauceThis colourful gnocchi recipe will please spinach lovers – and those who like a bit of bacon with their vegetables.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
From seafood pasta and moules frites to grilled tiger prawns and oysters, our seafood recipes celebrate the tastiest and freshest dishes from the sea.
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
Italy is Europe’s largest producer of caviar, second only to China and ahead of Russia. Here's all you need to know about these delicious fish eggs,...
The Spanish claim, with some justification, to have invented mayonnaise. The French don't like it, but it doesn't change their reputation for being...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The house has revived its prestige cuvée named in honour of its founder Charles Heidsieck, the original Champagne Charlie, for the bicentenary of his...
It’s Wimbledon time, and while players throw themselves around the court, the thousands of tennis fans watching them will be achieving some equally...