St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
photo provided

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel celebrates 150th birthday

London landmark introduces a special afternoon tea as part of anniversary celebrations.

It is one of those London landmarks that most people know, at least by sight: the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel celebrates its 150th anniversary today, May 5.

The building originally opened as the Midland Grand Hotel, its neo-Gothic façade designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, who entered a competition for architects run by the Midland Railway Company. The hotel was closed in 1935 and turned into offices, and in the late 1980s it stood abandoned. After the decision to connect St. Pancras to the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, a multi-million-pound renovation followed, and in May 2011 the hotel reopened, complete with 245 rooms. It has been used in a number of films including From Hell and Richard III.

To mark the anniversary, the hotel has launched a limited-edition celebratory afternoon tea which will be served in The Hansom; it includes a selection of sandwiches, scones, and sweet delights, including a St. Pancras Battenburg and lemon curd éclair. Guests can also enjoy a glass of Champagne with their afternoon tea, or choose from a wide variety of rare teas.

The St. Pancras Spa, built into the hotel’s original steam kitchen, has launched a limited-edition offer in partnership with skincare brand 111SKIN to celebrate the anniversary. On May 18, the hotel will launch a historical tour, inviting guests to a behind-the-scenes look at the hotel and its storied history.

There is also a new culinary addition to the location: The Midland Grand Dining Room which opened on May 2. The latest creation from restaurateur and hotelier Harry Handelsman will have French influences, honouring the area’s reputation as a gateway to Paris and Europe. It is named after the above-mentioned Midland Grand Hotel.

Robert Prazak
Robert Prazak
Find out more