For the meringue:
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- For a stiff meringue, the mixing bowl and mixing sticks must be clean and free from traces of grease. Best cleaned with a little lemon juice before mixing.
- Also, carefully separate the eggs and make sure that there are no egg yolk residues in the egg whites. Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt and cream of tartar / baking powder using a mixer.
- As soon as the egg mixture becomes firmer forming small peaks, fold in the granulated sugar using a large spoon. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form, the snow is nice and shiny and the sugar has completely dissolved. You can easily test this by taking some of the beaten egg whites between your fingertips; if you no longer feel any sugar grains, the mixture has been beaten.
- Spread the meringue mixture in 8 small circles on the baking sheets (about 10 cm in diameter each with approx. 2-3 heaped tablespoons of meringue per circle). Press a small dent in the middle with the back of the spoon.
- Bake the pavlovas for 15 minutes at 120°C, then reduce the temperature to 100°C and bake in the oven for another 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn off the oven, open the oven door and let the pavlovas dry in the oven for another hour. The meringue is ready when it can be easily removed from the baking paper.
- Allow the meringue circles to cool completely before serving. They should be nice and crispy on the outside and fluffy and soft on the inside.
For the raspberry sauce:
- For the sauce, blend the defrosted raspberries and strain through a fine sieve, stir in the icing sugar and store in the fridge until serving.
- Whip the whipped cream with the vanilla sugar until dissolved and cream is firm and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, spread the meringue circles with whipped cream, pour a tablespoon of the raspberry sauce over them, arrange the fresh berries on top and garnish with a mint leaf.
- Once assembled, pavlovas should be served immediately. However, the meringue circles can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container. You can also prepare the raspberry sauce and the whipped cream in advance.
FIND OUT MORE
Ginger and Raspberry MillefeuilleGinger is an integral flavouring in this classic pastry.
Superfood Energy BallsCocoa in its finest form? This delicious and healthy version of a Christmas specialty can be refined to suit individual tastes.
Strawberry CrumbleA crumble with fresh strawberries kickstarts your summer.
Strawberry and Rhubarb SemifreddoIce cream, cake, dessert – a semifreddo is all of these things. Here is our seasonal strawberry and rhubarb recipe.
Austrian Classic: Strawberry DumplingsThese strawberry dumplings are a springtime take of the famous Austrian Marillenknödel, or apricot dumpling, prepared with quark cheese.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
From seafood pasta and moules frites to grilled tiger prawns and oysters, our seafood recipes celebrate the tastiest and freshest dishes from the sea.
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
Italy is Europe’s largest producer of caviar, second only to China and ahead of Russia. Here's all you need to know about these delicious fish eggs,...
The Spanish claim, with some justification, to have invented mayonnaise. The French don't like it, but it doesn't change their reputation for being...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The house has revived its prestige cuvée named in honour of its founder Charles Heidsieck, the original Champagne Charlie, for the bicentenary of his...
It’s Wimbledon time, and while players throw themselves around the court, the thousands of tennis fans watching them will be achieving some equally...