Château Latour is without question one of the most famous wineries in the world. The precious vineyards are located in an area of Pauillac which can be considered the nucleus of the great history of the Bordelais, because first-class wines were grown here as early as the 14th century.
The name comes from an old fortress tower that was destroyed during the Hundred Years War and rebuilt in a different form as a landmark. The great rise of the now legendary château began under the aegis of Alexandre de Ségur in the 18th century, culminating in its inclusion as 1er Cru Classé in the 1855 classification. After a checkered history, the château has been owned by French businessman Francois Pinault since 1993.
The name Boissenot has remained over the decades; father Jacques was responsible for the high quality of the wines for a long time, until his son Eric took over. 78 hectares are under vines today. They are distributed between 75 percent Cabernet Sauvignon, 20 percent Merlot, 4 percent Cabernet Franc and 1 percent Petit Verdot. The grapes for the Grand Vin come from selected parcels with 60 to 100-year-old vines. The "Les Forts de Latour", often considered a second wine, is not a second wine in the true sense of the word as the grapes come from parcels planted specifically for this purpose. The "Pauillac de Latour" is offered as a classic second wine.
Château Latour has said goodbye to the early and fast-moving subscription business; the Grand Vin is sold only when the time is right. Château Latour is considered a French cultural asset and may only be passed on to French hands.