For the bread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut off the top of the bread to make a lid and hollow out a hole in the middle the bread the same size as the cheese. Pour most of the melted butter into the cavity.
- Place the cheese into the cavity, brush with the remaining melted butter and bake for 12 minutes until the cheese has melted. Put the lid on the cheese.
For the glazed apples
- Heat the oilve oil in a pan, add the apples and cook gently for 1–2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the Cognac, the lemon zest and juice and peppercorns and season with salt.
- Cook until the apples are soft, adding the butter at the end.
- When the cheese is out of the oven, remove the bread 'lid' and arrange the apple over the cheese.
- Drizzle the remaining Cognac over the top. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C and bake for 5–10 minutes until the apples are lightly browned.
- Drizzle the honey over the apples and serve hot.
For step-by-step photos of this recipe, see the picture gallery below.
Suitable cheeses are all cheeses that melt well and are tangy, such as Brie, Camembert, Vacherin...
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The 2021 Bordeaux En Primeur campaign delivered ‘predictable chaos’, with too many wines offering poor value compared to other available vintages,...
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
Where does one go after an illustrious career making one of the world’s most iconic wines? For the Lur Saluces family the answer is: back home.
The inaugural Michelin Guide Dubai has awarded two Michelin stars to two restaurants: Il Ristorante - Niko Romito and STAY by Yannick Alléno.