Ingredients (Serves 3)
- Cut the duck breasts on the skin side with a very sharp knife in a check pattern - cut into the fat, but not the meat. Salt generously. Place skin side down in a heavy pan (cast iron is best), place on the stove and turn on low to medium heat.
- First, the fat should render, then slowly fry the breasts until the skin is very crispy. The process may take as little as 30 minutes. About half way through, spoon hot duck fat over the meat side again and again.
- When skin is very crispy, remove breasts from pan and let them rest for three minutes. Cut into thick strips and serve. Be sure to save the fat from the pan and use it for other recipes!
Asian Red Cabbage-Grapefruit Salad
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- Cut the stalk from the red cabbage and shave the leaves into fine strips. Salt well and leave to infuse in a sieve over the sink for at least 30 minutes. Then squeeze out all the liquid.
- Fillet the grapefruit or orange and retain the juice.
- In a pestle and mortar crush the garlic, chilli and sugar to a paste, then add fish sauce, grapefruit juice and, if necessary, some water. Stir well.
- Mix the citrus fillets with the red cabbage.
- Pour the dressing over everything and sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds if desired.
FIND OUT MORE
Thai Style Black Pepper SteakJulian Kutos shows how to cook soul food on a rainy day. Hot and spice this Thai pepper steak warms the heart and the body.
Red Cabbage and Citrus Fruit ColeslawRed cabbage tastes best raw. Sceptical? Try this wonderfully refreshing winter salad and let yourself be convinced!
Thai Pork: Pad GapraoJulian Kutos introduces Pad Gaprao: crispy seared minced meat with oyster sauce and Thai basil, simply delicious.
Thai-style MusselsMussels harmonise wonderfully with various flavours - coconut milk and coriander are just two of many.
Thai Classic: Pad ThaiQuick and easy Pad Thai recipe by Julian Kutos.
The Global Drug Survey has crowned Australians as the heaviest drinkers in the world in 2020.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The 2020 vintage of Burgundy is out and being sold en primeur, or while the wine is still in the barrel. Merchants from Hong Kong to London are...
These countries, regions and cities are hot travel destinations in the year ahead.
Whether you’re hosting an intimate dinner, a stand-up party or sit-down feast, kick off with one of our easy-to-make cocktails to set the mood for...
You might have overdone it a little but that's no reason to throw cheese away...here's a few ideas for using up all those gnarly looking bits and bobs...
Oz Clarke is a larger than life character. Falstaff met the TV personality, actor, entertainer, connoisseur and writer and he was as ebullient,...
Disruptions in supply chains, crop damage and a shift in consumer drinking attitudes are all trends to watch in the future, according to GlobalData.
The legendary hotel will become part of the Four Seasons Group and will be renovated for around €30 million by 2024.
American Airlines has decided to extend the ban on alcohol in its main cabins until next year.
Snow bunnies and powder hounds rejoice - we've rounded up the most sensational ski resorts across Europe and North America for a magical mountain...
Shares in the low-carb, clean winemaker, founded by actresses Nina Dobrev and Julianne Hough, plunged 30% on their market debut.
While each species of deer from roe to reindeer has subtle flavour differences, the most important factors are cut and cuisson. Here are the top 10...
The world’s leading safety, product and COVID rating website AirlineRating.com has revealed the best airlines worldwide in 2021.
Jean-Baptiste Lécaillon is the inspired cellar master of Champagne Louis Roederer and the man behind Cristal - one of the most thrilling prestige...
Ward off the winter blues by splashing out on some bottles of delicious things, especially if they can multi-task on different occasions. Here’s our...
The US state of New York recently legalised cannabis for recreational use. Within a very short time this has become a huge market that politicians,...