For the mouflon loin
Ingredients (Serves 6)
For the sauce
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- Preheat the oven grill to its highest setting.
- Season the loins with salt and pepper and rub with the chopped juniper berries. Set aside.
- For the sauce, place the game bones in a roasting tin and grill for 30 minutes, turning several times, until well browned.
- Meanwhile, heat the lard and clarified butter/oil in a large, deep, heavy-based pan with a lid over a high heat. Fry the vegetables for 10 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Reduce the heat, add the onion and garlic and fry for a further 7 minutes. Add the herbs and spices and the cranberry sauce. Pour in the wine and stock and add the roasted bones.
- Stir, scraping up any browned bits from the base of the pan, season lightly and simmer, covered, over a low heat for 1 hour, adding a little water if necessary.
- Remove the bones and bay leaves (discard), pour in the cream and sour cream and bring to a simmer. Use a hand-held blender to blend to a smooth purée.
- Pass through a sieve if necessary, season to taste and keep warm.
- For the mouflon, preheat the oven to 120°C. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based ovenproof frying pan. When hot, add the loins and sear on all sides until browned all over (about 8 minutes).
- Transfer to the oven and cook for about 10 minutes (for pink), or until cooked to your liking.
- Take out, covered with baking paper, and leave to rest for at least 8 minutes. Slice on the diagonal into into 1.5cm thick slices.
- Serve with spaetzle or fried potato noodles and red cabbage.
FIND OUT MORE
Fennel and Sausage RisottoFennel and pork is a match made in heaven, as Italian cooks know – Italian sausage is often flavoured with fennel seeds. We bring those classic flavours together in this creamy risotto.
Curry DipServe it in the summer with a barbecue or serve it in the winter with fondue... This versatile curry dip is a great accompaniment to meat – and to all sorts of vegetables, from raw to roasted.
Carpaccio of Venison LoinThe quick searing creates roasted aromas that give the venison carpaccio a deeply savoury note. The starter is served with hazelnuts and blueberry vinaigrette.
Venison Shoulder in Chocolate Chilli SauceA classic venison stew gets an exciting new twist with the addition of cumin, chilli and a touch of chocolate.
Grilled Boar Cutlets with HerbsTender meat calls for delicate herbs! We serve these cutlets with lots of fresh seasonal herbs. If you fancy, you can sprinkle some chopped roasted hazelnuts on top.
Data on alcohol consumption in countries around the world shows some surprising results.
Top-ranking passports have bounced back almost to pre-pandemic levels in terms of access.
A brokerage firm has researched streets in the world people look at most intensively and consequently find the most aesthetic. We have summarised the...
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
In the bitter “War of Rosé” over Château Miraval, the wine estate of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, the Hollywood actor has to accept a temporary...
Our list of the most beautiful islands in the world is curated for your perfect summer getaway.
British airports have suddenly latched on a previously ignored revenue stream: a drop-off/collection fee for airport passengers.
It is not easy to make the perfect Wiener Schnitzel. The essential ingredient is, of course, the meat – genuine Wiener Schnitzel may only be prepared...
A new clinical trial suggests that a small portion of a mild Norwegian cheese may help to stave off bone thinning.
Travellers can feel safe in these countries: Europe has seven countries in the top ten.
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Every Italian region – sometimes every valley it seems – hides a precious collection of indigenous grape varieties. Here are five exciting examples to...
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Beat the heat with an icy cold treat that tastes all the better for being home-made. Here are our favourite ice cream and sorbet recipes.
A new guide from Lonely Planet reveals top European driving routes.
Pampering on the Adriatic: Falstaff’s International Restaurant Guide 2022 recommends the best restaurants in Croatia.
Two holidaymakers have died recently after shark attacks in Egypt. What does this mean for our holidays?
In restaurants or markets, you often can’t tell where the fish and meat on your plate came from. Fish, in particular, is often falsely labelled.