- In a pot, pour 200 ml of hot water over the dried mushrooms and bring to the boil for at least 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let soak for 10 minutes.
- Cut onion into half rings and the garlic into fine slices. Dice chestnuts. Strip the thyme leaves and chop finely.
- Clean the mushrooms. Cut 400g of the mushrooms (leaving 100g for later on) into large pieces. Heat three tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan, then sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add chestnuts, fresh mushrooms and thyme and sauté for 2 minutes, seasoning lightly with salt. Deglaze with white wine and boil down to reduce the wine to a thick consistency.
- Pour in the stock, add the soaked mushrooms and the strained soaking water. Bring everything to the boil, then cover and cook over a low heat for 15 - 20 minutes until soft.
- Take the remaining 100g of mushrooms and cut into slices. Chop the hazelnuts, toast them in a dry pan and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of butter in a non-stick frying pan and fry the remaining mushrooms until light brown all over, season with salt and pepper and reserve for the garnish.
- Add the cream to the soup and puree everything with a hand blender (or whip the cream until stiff and serve the soup with a dollop of cream).
- Serve and garnish with the fried mushrooms, toasted hazelnuts and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Between Pacific and Andes, roaring ocean and rugged rocks, Peru's perfect blend of indigenous and immigrant cultures has created a compelling...
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
Wines made or endorsed by famous names are now a firm part of the wine business. If done right, they are a perfect extension of a celebrity’s brand...