Ingredients (Serves 8)
- Peel and finely dice the onions and garlic.
- Heat lard in a saucepan and stew onions and garlic in it very slowly for 1 hour (or longer) over very low heat until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Cut the meat into 4×4 cm cubes.
- Add the sugar to the onions and let it caramelize slightly. Add the tomato puree, increase heat, fry briefly and deglaze with apple vinegar.
- Add the meat and pour in the beef broth. Add the spices except for the paprika and simmer the goulash on the stove for 75 minutes.
- When the meat is tender, lift out pieces with a meat fork and cover with cling film.
- Reduce cooking liquid by one third on a rollign boil.
- Mix paprika powder with a ladle of juice, add paprika and meat back to the reduced mixture and cook for a further 15 minutes (this will keep the colour and flavour of the paprika fresher).
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with mashed potatoes, bread dumplings or buttered noodles.
FIND OUT MORE
Beef Carpaccio from Harry's BarPrepare and serve this classic carpaccio at home, just like the original from Harry's Bar in Venice.
Beef Fillet ColbertTender beef fillet, spicy sauce - cabbage can be so noble and classically good. It takes a bit of work, but it's worth it!
Beef Tartare with Herb ButterThis classic from "Flatschers" restaurant in Vienna, is only prepared with the best beef.
Beef RendangThis recipe from West Sumatra is quite rightly considered exemplary of the strong yet subtle and balanced seasoning of Indonesia's cuisine.
Austrian Classic: Tafelspitz Boiled BeefThis is the famous Tafelspitz recipe, as served by Ewald and Mario Plachutta of the famous Restaurant Plachutta in Vienna.
Data on alcohol consumption in countries around the world shows some surprising results.
Top-ranking passports have bounced back almost to pre-pandemic levels in terms of access.
A brokerage firm has researched streets in the world people look at most intensively and consequently find the most aesthetic. We have summarised the...
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
In the bitter “War of Rosé” over Château Miraval, the wine estate of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, the Hollywood actor has to accept a temporary...
Our list of the most beautiful islands in the world is curated for your perfect summer getaway.
British airports have suddenly latched on a previously ignored revenue stream: a drop-off/collection fee for airport passengers.
It is not easy to make the perfect Wiener Schnitzel. The essential ingredient is, of course, the meat – genuine Wiener Schnitzel may only be prepared...
A new clinical trial suggests that a small portion of a mild Norwegian cheese may help to stave off bone thinning.
Travellers can feel safe in these countries: Europe has seven countries in the top ten.
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Every Italian region – sometimes every valley it seems – hides a precious collection of indigenous grape varieties. Here are five exciting examples to...
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Beat the heat with an icy cold treat that tastes all the better for being home-made. Here are our favourite ice cream and sorbet recipes.
A new guide from Lonely Planet reveals top European driving routes.
Pampering on the Adriatic: Falstaff’s International Restaurant Guide 2022 recommends the best restaurants in Croatia.
Two holidaymakers have died recently after shark attacks in Egypt. What does this mean for our holidays?
In restaurants or markets, you often can’t tell where the fish and meat on your plate came from. Fish, in particular, is often falsely labelled.