Ingredients (Serves 10)
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and crumble over the fresh yeast.
- Add the warm milk, sugar, egg yolk, salt and melted butter and mix to a smooth dough using a wooden spoon.
- Cover the dough and let it rise at room temperature until it has doubled in size (1–2 hours).
- Divide the dough into equal balls about the size of a fist. On a floured work surface, roll the dough into tight balls then place on a floured baking tray.
- Flatten the dough balls slightly, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep, heavy-based pan (do not fill the pan more than halfway) until it reaches 180C on a digital thermometer or until a breadcrumb tossed in the oil sizzles and turns brown in 30 seconds.
- Working in batches of 2–3, carefully fry the doughnuts in the hot oil.
- Fry for 2–3 minutes, then turn the doughnuts using a slotted spoon and fry for a further 2–3 minutes on the other side until golden brown all over and nicely puffed.
- Remove the doughnuts using a slotted spoon and place on a baking tray lined with paper towels to drain.
- Put the icing sugar in a shallow bowl then carefully coat each doughnut in the sugar on both sides.
- Fill a piping bag with the jam. Use a skewer to pierce a hole in the side of each doughnut, then fill with the jam.
- Finish decorating your doughnuts however you like, using icing or whatever takes your fancy.
FIND OUT MORE
Veiled Peasant GirlThis dish of stewed apples and pears, breadcrumbs, spices and cream is one of Norway's best-loved traditional desserts (the name is the topic of various origin stories). This version is from Christl and Lisa Schauflinger of the Schauflinger Inn in Austria, and is one of the most popular desserts with their guests.
Tiramisù from the St Regis in VeniceThis classic Italian dessert is based on a recipe from the luxury hotel on the Grand Canal. It serves a dozen, so it's the ideal party dessert!
Apple Strudel with Vanilla Ice Cream and Pumpkin Seed OilThis classic Viennese dessert is served by chef Gerhard Fuchs in the Styrian style: with a drizzle of green-gold pumpkin-seed oil and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Linzer TorteLinzer torte, named after the Austrian city of Linz, dates back to the 17th century. Lukas Nagl, chef at the Traunseehotels group, shares his recipe for this classic dessert.
The Original TiramisuThe classic coffee-flavoured dessert is prepared in the same manner as the original. The addition of rum is optional.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The 2021 Bordeaux En Primeur campaign delivered ‘predictable chaos’, with too many wines offering poor value compared to other available vintages,...
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
Where does one go after an illustrious career making one of the world’s most iconic wines? For the Lur Saluces family the answer is: back home.
The inaugural Michelin Guide Dubai has awarded two Michelin stars to two restaurants: Il Ristorante - Niko Romito and STAY by Yannick Alléno.