For the stock
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the vegetables and to serve
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Heat the peanut oil in large a deep, heavy-based pan (choose one large enough to hold the chicken), add the carrot and onion and cook, stirring, until lightly coloured, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the soya sauce, add water to cover and bring up to a boil. Reduce the temperature, cover with the lid and poach the chicken for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add the lemongrass, lime leaves, star anise and cubeb pepper to the stock.
- Add the turmeric, ginger, rosemary and sage. Leave all the spices to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Strain the stock into a clean pan and keep warm. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, chop and set aside in a bowl.
- For the vegetables, blanch the spinach in boiling salted water and rinse in very cold water. Squeeze the spinach well and set aside.
- Blanch the beans in boiling water, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Rinse the lentils in a colander and drain.
- Heat the peanut oil in a pan over high heat and briefly fry the Chinese cabbage, pak choi, pointed peppers and celery then add the soy sauce.
- Divide the lentils and vegetables among bowls, top with the chicken meat and pour over the hot stock. Garnish with the chillies and coriander leaves to serve.
See photos of preparation in the photo gallery.
FIND OUT MORE
Pea Cream Soup with Cashews and BasilPeas can also be creamy. Here we purée them into a velvety soup, and refine it with cashews and bacon.
Chickpea and Chestnut SoupSouthern Italians are hopelessly addicted to chestnuts. In autumn and winter, cooks pay homage to them with soups such as this hearty, warming bowlful.
French Onion SoupA French classic that is guaranteed to please- you really can't go wrong with a rich, flavourful soup topped with melting cheese, after all. This rendition is from the new cookbook 'Hot Cheese' by Polina Cheznakova.
Horseradish SoupCreamy and spicy at the same time, this soup is an amazing flavour combination. Created by top Austrian chefs Karl and Rudi Obauer, it's a soup with true personality. For an extra kick, add as much Tabasco as you dare!
Porcini Soup with Mushrooms and LeeksGerman chef Manuel Ulrich from the 1 Michelin-star restaurant Ösch Noir serves a fine porcini mushroom soup. When porcini are in season, this is the ideal dish to make to celebrate their unique flavour and texture.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
The 2021 Bordeaux En Primeur campaign delivered ‘predictable chaos’, with too many wines offering poor value compared to other available vintages,...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
Where does one go after an illustrious career making one of the world’s most iconic wines? For the Lur Saluces family the answer is: back home.
The inaugural Michelin Guide Dubai has awarded two Michelin stars to two restaurants: Il Ristorante - Niko Romito and STAY by Yannick Alléno.
Wines made or endorsed by famous names are now a firm part of the wine business. If done right, they are a perfect extension of a celebrity’s brand...