- Heat the clarified butter in a deep, wide pan with a lid and fry the chicken skin-side down until golden brown. Do not use too much butter, as the chicken skin often releases a lot of fat.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook it gently in the remaining fat until golden brown.
- Have the hot stock to hand on the stove.
- Next add the paprika to the pan with the onion. Before you do this, check that there is enough fat in the pan to properly absorb the paprika. Add a little more butter if necessary.
- Briefly roast the paprika, stirring constantly. Do not let it get too hot, otherwise it will become bitter.
- Quickly add the marjoram and lemon zest, then pour in the hot stock.
- Return the chicken to the pan. The liquid should just cover the chicken pieces. If necessary, add more water.
- Bring to the boil, put the lid on and let the chicken simmer on a low heat for about 30 minutes. It is ready when the meat easily falls away from the bone. Add salt to taste.
- Next make the ghmachtl – the name Austrians have for a smooth mixture of sour cream and flour that is stirred into the sauce at the end. Simply mix the sour cream with the flour in a separate bowl. Use a whisk and mix until completely smooth so that there are no lumps of flour left.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the sauce. Ladle a little of the hot sauce into the bowl with the gmachtl and whisk again.
- Then whisk the gmachtl mixture into the sauce in the pan. Bring the sauce to simmering point.
- If you like a smooth sauce, you can blend it with a hand blender at this stage. When the sauce has the desired consistency, return the chicken to the pan.
- Leave the chicken to rest in the sauce for about 1 hour to absorb the flavours in the sauce. Gently reheat before serving.
The dish is also excellent made with rabbit instead of chicken.
FIND OUT MORE
CongeeCongee is served as a breakfast dish in many Asian countries, but the combination of rice, flavourful stock, ginger and sesame makes a restorative dish for any time of day, and is particularly welcome in the colder months. Serve it with your choice of toppings – the soft-boiled egg is a must!
Horseradish SoupCreamy and spicy at the same time, this soup is an amazing flavour combination. Created by top Austrian chefs Karl and Rudi Obauer, it's a soup with true personality. For an extra kick, add as much Tabasco as you dare!
Fennel and Sausage RisottoFennel and pork is a match made in heaven, as Italian cooks know – Italian sausage is often flavoured with fennel seeds. We bring those classic flavours together in this creamy risotto.
Stuffed Roast Chicken with Carrots and ParsnipsGerhard Fuchs has been cooking at the restaurant Die Weinbank in Austria's southern Styria region since 2014. Fuchs cooks regional, seasonal and creative food with lots of flavour. Here he cooks a supreme dish for poultry lovers.
Vegan Butter ChickenA classic from northern India, here in the vegan version made with cauliflower. Recipe from the new cookbook by Karma Food founders Adi and Simone Raihmann.
Data on alcohol consumption in countries around the world shows some surprising results.
Top-ranking passports have bounced back almost to pre-pandemic levels in terms of access.
A brokerage firm has researched streets in the world people look at most intensively and consequently find the most aesthetic. We have summarised the...
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
In the bitter “War of Rosé” over Château Miraval, the wine estate of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, the Hollywood actor has to accept a temporary...
Our list of the most beautiful islands in the world is curated for your perfect summer getaway.
British airports have suddenly latched on a previously ignored revenue stream: a drop-off/collection fee for airport passengers.
It is not easy to make the perfect Wiener Schnitzel. The essential ingredient is, of course, the meat – genuine Wiener Schnitzel may only be prepared...
A new clinical trial suggests that a small portion of a mild Norwegian cheese may help to stave off bone thinning.
Travellers can feel safe in these countries: Europe has seven countries in the top ten.
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Every Italian region – sometimes every valley it seems – hides a precious collection of indigenous grape varieties. Here are five exciting examples to...
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Beat the heat with an icy cold treat that tastes all the better for being home-made. Here are our favourite ice cream and sorbet recipes.
A new guide from Lonely Planet reveals top European driving routes.
Pampering on the Adriatic: Falstaff’s International Restaurant Guide 2022 recommends the best restaurants in Croatia.
Two holidaymakers have died recently after shark attacks in Egypt. What does this mean for our holidays?
In restaurants or markets, you often can’t tell where the fish and meat on your plate came from. Fish, in particular, is often falsely labelled.