For strawberries in syrup:
Preparation of puff pastry feuilletés:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out the puff pastry thinly to approx. 0.5cm thickness. Cut the pastry into rectangular pieces and place on the baking trays lined with baking paper. (See images).
- Mix the milk, egg and sugar in a bowl and brush the pastry with a pastry brush to coat fully. Bake the pastry for about 12 minutes in the pre-heated oven until golden brown. Remove and transfer the hot pastries to racks to cool down. Preparation mascarpone cream.
- Soak the gelatine in a shallow bowl, ensure it is completely covered with very icy water (use ice if possible) for 4-5 minutes. If you are using more than one sheet, make sure that they don´t stick together. When soft, remove and squeeze the sheet/s gently to remove excess water.
- Prepare a piping bag with medium, round nozzle. Whip the mascarpone with a hand or machine mixer. Slowly add the egg yolks, vanilla pulp and sugar and beat until you have a smooth mixture, then keep to one side.
- Put the rum and softened gelatine into a saucepan and gently heat until the gelatine has dissolved. Then pour into the mascarpone cream and mix thoroughly. Place the finished mascarpone cream in the piping bag, tie up the open end with string or bag tie to ensure the mix does not spill out and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Preparation strawberries in syrup:
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, vanilla pulp and pod, water and lemon zest to boil. Then immediately turn down the heat to a simmer and stir for several minutes until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat, strain through a fine sieve and then let sieved syrup cool down. Clean the strawberries, cut off the stalk and green leaf then cut into halves or quarters depending on size.
- Coat the strawberries with the syrup and place to one side. To serve. Take the small puff pastry rectangles and pipe the mascarpone cream on top of each one. Carefully place the strawberries that have been coated with the syrup on top of the cream in a decoratively. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
From seafood pasta and moules frites to grilled tiger prawns and oysters, our seafood recipes celebrate the tastiest and freshest dishes from the sea.
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
Italy is Europe’s largest producer of caviar, second only to China and ahead of Russia. Here's all you need to know about these delicious fish eggs,...
The Spanish claim, with some justification, to have invented mayonnaise. The French don't like it, but it doesn't change their reputation for being...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The house has revived its prestige cuvée named in honour of its founder Charles Heidsieck, the original Champagne Charlie, for the bicentenary of his...
It’s Wimbledon time, and while players throw themselves around the court, the thousands of tennis fans watching them will be achieving some equally...