Restaurant Guide 2022: The Best Restaurants in Austria
The Steirereck team can be pleased about being awarded the maximum score of 100 Falstaff points.
© Thomas Schauer
The new Falstaff Restaurant and Inn Guide 2022 is brilliant proof of the old adage that wherever there is shade – pandemic or otherwise – there is also plenty of light. The best restaurateurs and chefs in the country were feted at the restaurant guide presentation in Vienna's City Hall, held in cooperation with Gösser.
And when it comes to Austria's restaurants and inns, lockdowns, quiet phases – and especially government support in difficult times – were often used in the best possible way: to rethink, refine, rearrange what was already good, to depart from well-trodden paths or even to break new ground: More than 170 new addresses for Austrian gourmets can be found in the new guide and thus demonstrate the vitality, wealth of ideas and also the courage of Austrian gastronomy.
Falstaff publisher Wolfgang M. Rosam, minister Elisabeth Köstinger and Vienna's city councillor Peter Hanke presided over the award ceremony. "Austria's best innkeepers and chefs invite you to the country's best 1,950 restaurants and inns and whet your appetite for exceptional culinary delights," explains Rosam.
100 points for Steirereck
The good news: 419 restaurants were promoted compared to 117 whose score declined, proving the industry is going in the right direction, lessons have been learned and fresh forces have been created. The most prominent example is without doubt Steirereck. The restaurant in the heart of Vienna's Stadtpark has once again proven its exceptional international standing in several votes this year, and Birgit and Heinz Reitbauer are to be congratulated. Steirereck is starting from an even higher level than before the pandemic, earning the highest possible score of 100 points.
Of course, it is the entire team that makes a restaurant a success. So it is fitting that René Antrag, as an essential part of the Steirereck team, is also among the ten special award winners of the 2022 vintage, being awarded Sommelier of the Year. Motto patron Bernd Schlacher won Restauranteur of the Year.
Overall ratings for Austria
1. Steirereck, 1030 Vienna – 100 Points, 4 Forks
2. Amador, 1190 Vienna – 99 Points, 4 Forks
2. Landhaus Bacher, 3512 Mautern an der Donau – 99 Points, 4 Forks
2. Ikarus Hangar-7, 5020 Salzburg – 99 Points, 4 Forks
2. Mraz & Sohn, 1200 Vienna – 99 Points, 4 Forks
2. Obauer, 5450 Werfen – 99 Points, 4 Forks
2. Gourmet Restaurant Hubert Wallner, 9082 Dellach – 99 Points, 4 Forks
2. Rote Wand Chef’s Table im Schualhus, 6764 Lech – 99 Points, 4 Forks
3. Döllerer, 5440 Golling – 98 Points, 4 Forks
3. Die Weinbank – Restaurant, 8461 Ehrenhausen – 98 Points, 4 Forks
3. Harald Irka am Pfarrhof, 8444 St. Andrä im Sausal – 98 Points, 4 Forks
3. Paznaunerstube Trofana Royal, 6561 Ischgl – 98 Points, 4 Forks
3. Silvio Nickol, 1010 Vienna – 98 Points, 4 Forks
4. Restaurant Almhof Schneider, 6764 Lech – 98 Points, 4 Forks
5. Konstantin Filippou, 1010 Vienna – 97 Points, 4 Forks
6. Die Forelle, 9762 Weißensee – 97 Points, 4 Forks
6. Griggeler Stuba, 6764 Lech – 97 Points, 4 Forks
6. Ois im Mühltalhof, 4120 Neufelden – 97 Points, 4 Forks
6. Senns Restaurant, 5020 Salzburg – 97 Points, 4 Forks
6. Stüva, 6561 Ischgl – 97 Points, 4 Forks
7. Aend, 1060 Vienna – 96 Points, 4 Forks
7. Bootshaus Restaurant, 4801 Traunkirchen – 96 Points, 4 Forks
7. Gut Purbach, 7083 Purbach – 96 Points, 4 Forks
7. Taubenkobel, 7081 Schützen – 96 Points, 4 Forks
7. TIAN, 1010 Vienna – 96 Points, 4 Forks
8. Aurelio’s, 6764 Lech – 96 Points, 4 Forks
The ranking is based on the total number of points and the food score.
- Vienna: Steirereck – 100 Falstaff-Points
- Lower Austria: Landhaus Bacher – 99 Falstaff-Points
- Salzburg: Obauer and Ikarus im Hangar-7 – both 99 Falstaff-Points
- Tyrol: Paznauner Stube – 98 Falstaff-Points
- Vorarlberg: Rote Wand Chef’s Table im Schualhus – 99 Falstaff-Points
- Upper Austria: Ois im Mühltalhof – 97 Falstaff-Points
- Styria: Die Weinbank – Restaurant and Harald Irka am Pfarrhof – both 98 Falstaff-Points
- Kärnten: Gourmet Restaurant Hubert Wallner – 99 Falstaff-Points
- Burgenland: Gut Purbach and Taubenkobel – both 96 Falstaff-Points
Restaurant Guide 2022 – The facts
The guide has been published since 2005, this year is the 18th edition.
- Around 1,950 restaurants
- 45 restaurants awarded 4 forks
- 184 restaurants awarded 3 forks
- 593 restaurants awarded 2 forks
- 1,044 restaurants awarded 1 fork
- Most restaurants in Vienna: 471 establishments
FIND OUT MORE
Wolfgang Puck to Open Restaurant at Vienna AirportAustrian native Wolfgang Puck made his name in the United States but at long last he is opening a restaurant in his home country.
The 101 Best Steak Restaurants in the WorldUpper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for...
Large UK Restaurant Chains Must Now Display Calorie CountUK hospitality businesses with 250-plus staff are required to display calories on their menus from April 6, a move that has been condemned...
Michelin Guide: Two New Three-Star Restaurants in FranceThe Michelin Guide France 2022 has elevated La Villa Madie in Cassis and Plénitude – Cheval Blanc Paris to the Mt. Olympus of fine cuisine.
Where to Eat: Best Italian Restaurants outside ItalyThe restaurant guide '50 Top Italy' has revealed its latest global rankings for 2022. The good news is you don't need to travel Italy for an...
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Can you tell your tortellini from your cappelletti? Marubini from casoncelli? Here is what makes eight of the best stuffed pasta specialities so...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Rhubarb may be considered a vegetable, but for connoisseurs it is the first eagerly awaited fruit of spring. Here are our favourite recipes that...
Peruvian cuisine, with its unique blend of native and immigrant dishes, can now be found around the globe. Here are some of the best Peruvian eateries...
Police in Austria are hunting a cheese-loving thief who made off with eight slabs weighing 400kg from a warehouse in Tyrol.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.