Baked Oysters with Lemongrass and Watercress
Baked Oysters with Lemongrass and Watercress
© Stine Christiansen
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- Blanch the watercress in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes so that it is still bright green. Drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool, then squeeze to remove as much excess moisture as possible. Chop finely.
- Combine the cream, lemongrass, ginger, hot sauce and fish sauce in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 25 minutes to reduce the total amount to about 300ml. Strain the sauce through a sieve back into the cleaned pan.
- Add the blanched watercress, spring onion and coriander. Taste and add salt and/or pepper if needed. Cook for about 2 minutes to warm the sauce, then reduce the heat to low to keep it mixture warm.
- Prepare a bed of crumpled aluminium foil on a baking tray for the oysters so that they do not topple over during baking.
- Open the oysters using an oyster knife and place them on their half-shells, side-by-side on the crumpled foil. This can be done up to 1 hour in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 260°C.
- Spread a bed of coarse salt about 1cm thick on a large serving platter.
- Roast the oysters on the baking tray on the lowest shelf of the oven for 7-10 minutes, until their juices are bubbling and their edges begin to curl.
- Using a towel, transfer the oysters to the serving platter – the coarse salt will fix them in a horizontal position. Spoon a heaped tablespoon of the watercress cream sauce onto each oyster and serve.
FIND OUT MORE
Hong Kong-Style Salt & Pepper SquidBaked calamari the way the Cantonese like them: tender, crispy and with plenty of spiciness from three kinds of pepper.
Focaccia BreadHave you ever baked focaccia yourself? Julian Kutos has this classic with herbs and olives, ideal for an aperitif with friends.
Baked Camembert with Figs, Macadamia Brittle and HoneyIf you want to do bees – and your taste buds – a favour, buy honey from an organic beekeeper. Pour the liquid gold over delicious camembert and figs and enjoy.
Pork Fillet with Celeriac and MushroomsConstantin Fischer serves succulent pork fillet and mushrooms with celeriac, which has been left whole and baked in the oven.
Rump Steak with Whiskey JusRain or shine, a juicy steak with whiskey will always satisfy, says Julian Kutos.
The Global Drug Survey has crowned Australians as the heaviest drinkers in the world in 2020.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
These countries, regions and cities are hot travel destinations in the year ahead.
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
A new wave of Pinotage has swept across from South Africa, making a whole new case for the country's flagship red grape. And it is a real...
Detoxes don’t have to be punishing. In fact, taking the time to focus on your mind, body or spiritual side can give you the energy to recharge and...
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the New World wineries that made the...
Smart seaside dining is a holiday treat, but cheaper, casual venues often deliver seafood that’s just as delicious with a relaxed local ambience. Here...
Shares in the low-carb, clean winemaker, founded by actresses Nina Dobrev and Julianne Hough, plunged 30% on their market debut.
Disruptions in supply chains, crop damage and a shift in consumer drinking attitudes are all trends to watch in the future, according to GlobalData.
While each species of deer from roe to reindeer has subtle flavour differences, the most important factors are cut and cuisson. Here are the top 10...
You might have overdone it a little but that's no reason to throw cheese away...here's a few ideas for using up all those gnarly looking bits and bobs...
The 2020 vintage of Burgundy is out and being sold en primeur, or while the wine is still in the barrel. Merchants from Hong Kong to London are...
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the wineries from Italy that made...
American Airlines has decided to extend the ban on alcohol in its main cabins until next year.
Falstaff is delighted to show off Austria‘s must-visit destinations from Carinthia to Vienna.
The legendary hotel will become part of the Four Seasons Group and will be renovated for around €30 million by 2024.
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the wineries from France that made...