For the buttermilk pancakes
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to combine the sour cream, buttermilk, icing sugar, flour and baking powder until smooth.
- Stir in the egg yolks. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form firm peaks, then carefully fold into the pancake mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Melt the butter for frying in a large ovenproof frying pan. When hot, pour the pancake mixture into the pan. Cook for a few minutes over a low heat.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until the batter is risen and golden.
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Melt together the butter and sugar in a small pan, and pour over the pancake. Grill until the top is caramelised.
For the stewed plums
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Cook the sugar in a large saucepan until melted and turning a caramel colour. Carefully pour in the red wine and stir. Add the cinnamon, vanilla and star anise, add 3–4 plums and cook, stirring, until the plums have broken down.
- Add the remaining plums and simmer briefly. Allow to cool and remove the spices.
- Serve the pancake, dusted with icing sugar, with the stewed plums on the side.
Fresh or preserved blueberries and cranberries would also taste excellent with this pancake.
FIND OUT MORE
Tiramisù from the St Regis in VeniceThis classic Italian dessert is based on a recipe from the luxury hotel on the Grand Canal. It serves a dozen, so it's the ideal party dessert!
Apple Strudel with Vanilla Ice Cream and Pumpkin Seed OilThis classic Viennese dessert is served by chef Gerhard Fuchs in the Styrian style: with a drizzle of green-gold pumpkin-seed oil and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Linzer TorteLinzer torte, named after the Austrian city of Linz, dates back to the 17th century. Lukas Nagl, chef at the Traunseehotels group, shares his recipe for this classic dessert.
The 5 Best Apple Varieties to DiscoverWhether you’re seeking a full flavoured snack, refreshing cider or decadent dessert, here are five apple varieties to track down.
The Original TiramisuThe classic coffee-flavoured dessert is prepared in the same manner as the original. The addition of rum is optional.
The Global Drug Survey has crowned Australians as the heaviest drinkers in the world in 2020.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
These countries, regions and cities are hot travel destinations in the year ahead.
A new wave of Pinotage has swept across from South Africa, making a whole new case for the country's flagship red grape. And it is a real...
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the New World wineries that made the...
Detoxes don’t have to be punishing. In fact, taking the time to focus on your mind, body or spiritual side can give you the energy to recharge and...
Smart seaside dining is a holiday treat, but cheaper, casual venues often deliver seafood that’s just as delicious with a relaxed local ambience. Here...
Shares in the low-carb, clean winemaker, founded by actresses Nina Dobrev and Julianne Hough, plunged 30% on their market debut.
You might have overdone it a little but that's no reason to throw cheese away...here's a few ideas for using up all those gnarly looking bits and bobs...
While each species of deer from roe to reindeer has subtle flavour differences, the most important factors are cut and cuisson. Here are the top 10...
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the wineries from Italy that made...
Disruptions in supply chains, crop damage and a shift in consumer drinking attitudes are all trends to watch in the future, according to GlobalData.
Wines costing over €1,000 have long since ceased to be a rarity, usually they are strictly limited and highly coveted by a steadily growing number of...
Tributes are flowing for legendary Bordeaux winery owner Anthony Barton who died at the age of 91.
The 2020 vintage of Burgundy is out and being sold en primeur, or while the wine is still in the barrel. Now with new tasting notes.
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the wineries from France that made...
The legendary hotel will become part of the Four Seasons Group and will be renovated for around €30 million by 2024.