In the film, Al Pacino, in his role as Lefty Ruggiero, cooks for Johnny Depp who plays the eponymous hero in the movie Donnie Brasco. He gets upset about "the Italians" who can't cook anything but Italian. But, Lefty says, he will now demonstrate how to make real French coq au vin. The resulting dish, however, looks pretty much like an Italian-American gangster version of pollo alla cacciatora, the classic Italian dish.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan (use one with a lid) then add the bacon and fry until crisp. Lift out, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Season the chicken pieces and dust them in the flour. Fry them, in batches, in the bacon fat until golden brown on all sides. Lift out the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Add the brandy to the pan and scrape up the browned bits from the base of the pan using a woooden spoon.
- Add the celery, onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until they start to take on a bit of colour.
- Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then add the red wine and let it boil down a little. Add the tomatoes and crush them with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan, pour in the stock, add the herbs and cook, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Season the dish with a "pinch of salt" (really just a pinch), turn the chicken pieces over and cook slowly for another 20 minutes, this time without the lid until the sauce is reduced.
- Garnish with parsley leaves, if you like, and serve.
FIND OUT MORE
Slow-cooked Veal Shanks in ChiantiWhat stews slowly will eventually become irresistibly good. This is especially true for a couple of shanks of veal, braised in Chianti Tuscan-style, until the meat is so tender it almost falls off the bone at the merest touch of a fork.
Baked Ziti from 'The Sopranos'Pasta as a serial actor: In The Sopranos, this baked pasta with plenty of cheese and tomato sauce plays an ironically prominent role.
Scaloppine al Marsala from 'The Godfather'Criminally good: veal escalope cooked in Sicilian Marsala wine – just the way we imagine it would be served in 'The Godfather'.
Prison Sunday Gravy from 'Goodfellas'The guys from 'Goodfellas' prepare this dish in their prison cell. Here's the recipe to follow so you can make it in your own kitchen, no holds barred!
Lentil and Sausage SoupThis warming and hearty sausage and lentil soup is pure comfort in a bowl. Serve with lots of crusty bread for a suppertime treat.
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Raise a glass (or two) to English Wine Week running from June 18-26 by visiting these five UK wineries from Sussex to southwest London.
There have been many copies, but there is only one original dry vermouth. Our writer makes a pilgrimage to Noilly Prat in Marseillan in the south of...
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Between Pacific and Andes, roaring ocean and rugged rocks, Peru's perfect blend of indigenous and immigrant cultures has created a compelling...
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
As the temperature rises, these refreshing berry cocktail recipes will cool you down and provide a delicious, grown-up taste of summer.
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...