Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Pound the beef cutlets until they are thin, season with salt and pepper and spread with mustard.
- Peel and quarter the carrots. Leave the pickled gherkins whole or halve them, depending on their size.
- Place slices of bacon on top of the meat, place the carrot and gherkins in the middle.
- Roll up each roulade and secure with a kitchen skewer. Salt the meat and dust with a little flour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. On the stove, heat olive oil in a large casserole. Add a clove of garlic and thyme.
- Sear the meat on all sides on a high heat. Add the butter.
- Pour in a ladle of chicken stock and some red wine and let it boil away. Pour in the rest of the stock.
- Put the lid on the casserole and place in the oven to simmer until the meat is cooked. Depending on the size of the meat, this takes at least 90 minutes.
- Pour the stock over the meat occasionally. The meat is done when it is soft to the touch.
- With about 15 minutes remaining, remove the lid and leave to cook uncovered for the rest of the time.
- Remove the roulades from the liquid and keep warm. Stir the double cream into the cooking juices and heat briefly on the stove until thickened.
- Remove the skewers from the roulades, arrange on a platter and serve with the sauce.
Use salt sparingly, as the bacon is also very salty. Beef roulades are ideal for freezing. Prepare a larger quantity and freeze with sufficient sauce.
Step by step pictures of the preparation:
FIND OUT MORE
Beef Carpaccio from Harry's BarPrepare and serve this classic carpaccio at home, just like the original from Harry's Bar in Venice.
Beef Fillet ColbertTender beef fillet, spicy sauce - cabbage can be so noble and classically good. It takes a bit of work, but it's worth it!
Beef RendangThis recipe from West Sumatra is quite rightly considered exemplary of the strong yet subtle and balanced seasoning of Indonesia's cuisine.
Classic Beef GoulashThe secret to a perfect goulash is simplicity - slow-cooked onions, meat and paprika create a perfect hearty dish.
Austrian Classic: Tafelspitz Boiled BeefThis is the famous Tafelspitz recipe, as served by Ewald and Mario Plachutta of the famous Restaurant Plachutta in Vienna.
The Global Drug Survey has crowned Australians as the heaviest drinkers in the world in 2020.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
These countries, regions and cities are hot travel destinations in the year ahead.
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
A new wave of Pinotage has swept across from South Africa, making a whole new case for the country's flagship red grape. And it is a real...
Detoxes don’t have to be punishing. In fact, taking the time to focus on your mind, body or spiritual side can give you the energy to recharge and...
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the New World wineries that made the...
Smart seaside dining is a holiday treat, but cheaper, casual venues often deliver seafood that’s just as delicious with a relaxed local ambience. Here...
Shares in the low-carb, clean winemaker, founded by actresses Nina Dobrev and Julianne Hough, plunged 30% on their market debut.
Disruptions in supply chains, crop damage and a shift in consumer drinking attitudes are all trends to watch in the future, according to GlobalData.
While each species of deer from roe to reindeer has subtle flavour differences, the most important factors are cut and cuisson. Here are the top 10...
You might have overdone it a little but that's no reason to throw cheese away...here's a few ideas for using up all those gnarly looking bits and bobs...
The 2020 vintage of Burgundy is out and being sold en primeur, or while the wine is still in the barrel. Merchants from Hong Kong to London are...
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the wineries from Italy that made...
American Airlines has decided to extend the ban on alcohol in its main cabins until next year.
Falstaff is delighted to show off Austria‘s must-visit destinations from Carinthia to Vienna.
The legendary hotel will become part of the Four Seasons Group and will be renovated for around €30 million by 2024.
Falstaff's wine editors have compiled the ultimate list of the world’s 100 most iconic red wine estates. Here are the wineries from France that made...