For the custard:
- Scrape out the vanilla pod. Set aside a pinch of vanilla pulp. Place the milk, whipping cream, salt, remaining vanilla pulp and the scraped vanilla pod in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow.
- Pour the egg and sugar mixture into the hot milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. The sauce should be thick enough to cover a spoon after dipping. Transfer the sauce and chill.
For the raspberry parfait:
- Puree the raspberries with the egg yolks, icing sugar, salt, a pinch of vanilla pulp and lemon juice using a hand blender.
- Add the mascarpone and purée again.
- The parfait can be served immediately. If you would like the parfait to be ice cold and a little firmer, place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Use a dessert ring for precision and perfect presentation. Pour the parfait into the ring and then remove the ring.
- Place cold parfait on a plate, place fresh raspberries on top of the parfait, dust with icing sugar, serve with vanilla custard.
- Frozen berries are better for the parfait, as the mousse is immediately cold. Reduce or increase the amount of sugar depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
Any other berries or fruits can be used instead of raspberries.
- The parfait can be refined with rum, Grand Marnier or a liqueur.
- If you have guests, you can fill the parfait into dessert rings and freeze for a few hours. Allow to defrost before serving.
- The parfait is not suitable for long freezing. Without a special sugar (like glucose), ice crystals will form during freezing.
You can find impressions in the picture gallery:
FIND OUT MORE
Strawberry and Mascarpone FeuilletéA strawberry delight that is as elegant as delicious.
Strawberry TiramisuJulian Kutos creates summer on a plate with this fruity and sweet dessert.
Strawberry and Rhubarb SemifreddoIce cream, cake, dessert – a semifreddo is all of these things. Here is our seasonal strawberry and rhubarb recipe.
Chocolate and Chestnut MousseFresh chestnuts give this wonderfully creamy mousse an autumnal touch
Our inaugural digital summer issue of Falstaff Magazine is here!
Each week, Falstaff highlights a restaurant somewhere on this globe, reviewed by one of our professional eaters.
We all know vending machines for drinks and sweets, but Rome has now topped this with a pizza vending machine located in a booth on Via Catania.
The former Soviet republic is working on the country's first official wine route
Verijet, a private airline launched in 2020, is disrupting the aviation industry by offering unique flight experiences.
The first certified sustainable UK wines have been released after the Sustainable Wines of Great Britain scheme was set up last year.
The luxury hotel operator is opening a resort in the World Islands off Dubai later this year.
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is New Zealand's top export. The reported drop in harvest volume will create supply issues.
Orange wine has been niche, but one Romanian winery is changing that - especially in Asia.
Famous for their single-vineyard wines from the Clos des Goisses vineyard in Mareuil-sur-Aÿ, Champagne Philipponnat are also making a name for their...
Italian white wines can be subtle to the point of neutrality – but once they are paired with food they do come into their own. Here are the top five...
Sweat beads forming on the forehead, tears swelling in the eyes – these are the physical manifestations of eating hot and spicy foods. Is this...
Have you packed everything for your picnic? Make sure you don’t forget something to sit on: Falstaff has found the best and most beautiful picnic...
Jansz Tasmania 's release of vintage sparkling wines shows Tasmania's cool climate off to perfection.