Ingredients (Serves 4)
- The day before you want to eat, soak the dried morels in 2 litres of water.
- The next day, carefully lift them out, rinse them several times under running water and squeeze them well to remove all the grit from the chambers of the mushroom heads.
- Ladle 250ml of the mushroom soaking water into a measuring jug for preparing the sauce.
- For the sauce, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the shallots and cook, stirring, until translucent. Increase the heat to high, add the moist morels and mix thoroughly.
- As soon as the water from the mushrooms has evaporated, add the Cognac, stir well, then pour in the port.
- Add a good ladleful of the soaking water, season with salt and simmer for about 30 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil for the pasta. Preheat the oven to low (60C).
- Heat a large heavy-based pan over a high heat. When hot, add the remaining butter and the oil, then add the veal medallions and sear them briefly on both sides, turning 2–3 times so that they are lightly browned but still pink inside.
- Transfer the medallions to a plate and keep warm in the oven.
- When the morels in the sauce are nicely soft, pour in the cream and bubble gently until the volume is reduced by half.
- Taste and season with salt, adding more port wine if you like, then add the Madeira and stir in the veal stock, if using. Keep the sauce warm.
- Boil the noodles for two minutes then drain.
- To serve, place two medallions on each of four warmed plates. Stir any escaped meat juices into the morel sauce.
- Arrange the noodles next to the meat, spoon the morel sauce over the medallions and serve immediately.
This feast cries out for Pinot Noir, the best one that you can afford!
Tired of serving shop-bought nibbles with your aperitif or simply fancy a savoury snack? Here are five ways to turn a packet of puff pastry into...
Whether Hokkaido or butternut, pumpkin is suitable for so much more than just Halloween decorations. Here we reveal our best pumpkin recipes.
A fabulous dressing can spice up the plainest salad. Here are five tried-and-tested recipes that are a step up from a classic vinaigrette.
Upper Cut Media House presents the world's best steak restaurants in its 2022 ranking – and a London steakhouse has beaten Buenos Aires for the top...
To mark International Banana Day, we present our favourite recipes with the exotic fruit or its syrup – from cake and muffins to soup and cocktails.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Falstaff is teaming up with the 135-year-old Maison Saint Aix winery in Provence, France, to offer a 6L bottle of the award-winning AIX Rosé 2021....
As every bartender knows, gin is the basis of some of the world's most legendary cocktails. We present the top 5 to mix at home.
Making a trip to the Big Apple? Here are Falstaff's six favourite watering holes offering everything from old world cocktails and fabulous views to...
There's no better way to discover a city than on foot. A new study shows which European cities are best for pedestrians to explore.
Avocados are healthy, nutritious and can be enjoyed in so many different ways. We show you our favourite recipes with the delicious fruit.
Tripadvisor has announced the best destinations for food lovers in 2022. Rome claims the No.1 spot for its culinary supremacy.
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Fancy a trip to Italy but want to avoid the big cities? Here are some beautiful towns you have to visit.
Between Pacific and Andes, roaring ocean and rugged rocks, Peru's perfect blend of indigenous and immigrant cultures has created a compelling...
The NiceRx platform has analysed 50 countries around the world and measured them on a range of happiness factors. Switzerland topped the list with the...
With their aromatic lift and savoury depth, herbs bring that delicious extra dimension to a dish. But don't get stuck in a rut, try these new ways of...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
Wines made or endorsed by famous names are now a firm part of the wine business. If done right, they are a perfect extension of a celebrity’s brand...