Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Combine both flours in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the melted butter and lukewarm milk. Add the yeast and mix to dissolve. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Crack in 1 egg and stir in the extra egg yolk. Mix gently to combine.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg white and salt until stiff peaks form. Use a spoon or spatula to gently mix the whisked egg white into the batter mixture. Cover and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat a thin film of melted butter a shallow pan and, using a large tablespoon, drop small amounts of batter into the pan to make small (5cm) blini. Gently cook the blini until bubbles form on the surface (about 2 minutes), then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat until the blini batter is used up (keep the cooked blini warm).
- Serve the blini topped with a spoonful each of sour cream and caviar, garnish with dill and enjoy with champagne or iced vodka.
You can also make the blinis in advance and freeze them. To do this, stack them with a piece of baking paper between each one so that the blinis don't get soggy. Bake from frozen in the oven at 220°C for 7 minutes.
FIND OUT MORE
Tagliolini with Lemon Sauce and Salmon CaviarThis is a variation on a legendary recipe by Reinhard Gerer, one of the few true geniuses in the kitchen that Austria has produced in recent decades. It tastes delicious, and is equally easy to make.
Pizza with Smoked Salmon and CaviarProbably one of the most legendary dishes that Wolfgang Puck serves every year at the Oscars in Hollywood.
Salmon Trout with Chard, Chanterelle Ragout and PappardelleMax Natmessnig, chef at the Rote Wand Schualhus in Lech, central Austria, is known for his innovative dishes. In the Falstaff cookbook he shares his recipe for salmon trout with chanterelles and homemade pasta.
Food-Trend: "Pesto Eggs"A new trend from the kitchen that has taken social media by storm - this time 'Pesto Eggs'. Here's a quick recipe.
Slow-roasted Leg of LambThe lamb is combined with wonderfully aromatic notes from the Orient. There is also homemade hummus and cucumber yogurt.
The Global Drug Survey has crowned Australians as the heaviest drinkers in the world in 2020.
Air New Zealand has topped the AirlineRatings' 2022 safest airlines ranking of 385 operators worldwide.
Every July and August thousands of animals migrate from Tanzania’s Serengeti to Kenya’s Masai Mara in search of fresh pastures. It is one of the last...
Sushi is an addiction that has conquered the world in the last 50 years. Here is our list of the 25 top sushi places, outside Japan.
The 2020 vintage of Burgundy is out and being sold en primeur, or while the wine is still in the barrel. Merchants from Hong Kong to London are...
The legendary hotel will become part of the Four Seasons Group and will be renovated for around €30 million by 2024.
These countries, regions and cities are hot travel destinations in the year ahead.
You might have overdone it a little but that's no reason to throw cheese away...here's a few ideas for using up all those gnarly looking bits and bobs...
Whether you’re hosting an intimate dinner, a stand-up party or sit-down feast, kick off with one of our easy-to-make cocktails to set the mood for...
Snow bunnies and powder hounds rejoice - we've rounded up the most sensational ski resorts across Europe and North America for a magical mountain...
Oz Clarke is a larger than life character. Falstaff met the TV personality, actor, entertainer, connoisseur and writer and he was as ebullient,...
Disruptions in supply chains, crop damage and a shift in consumer drinking attitudes are all trends to watch in the future, according to GlobalData.
The world’s leading safety, product and COVID rating website AirlineRating.com has revealed the best airlines worldwide in 2021.
American Airlines has decided to extend the ban on alcohol in its main cabins until next year.
While each species of deer from roe to reindeer has subtle flavour differences, the most important factors are cut and cuisson. Here are the top 10...
Shares in the low-carb, clean winemaker, founded by actresses Nina Dobrev and Julianne Hough, plunged 30% on their market debut.
Non-alcoholic spirits are booming despite the fact that it is, to put it mildly, difficult to imitate gin, whisky, rum & co without the all important...
The US state of New York recently legalised cannabis for recreational use. Within a very short time this has become a huge market that politicians,...
Jean-Baptiste Lécaillon is the inspired cellar master of Champagne Louis Roederer and the man behind Cristal - one of the most thrilling prestige...